Tuesday, July 8, 2008

TWD: Blueberry Pie


I think Dorie Greenspan’s book “Baking: From My Home to Yours” needs to come with an all-expense paid membership to Weight Watchers.

Seriously.

Her sweets are just so damn good! I can’t tell you how many Tuesday’s with Dorie recipes I’ve faced with a ho-hum attitude, only to fall truly, madly, deeply in love with them.

Take her Double Crusted Blueberry Pie, for example. I honestly don't ever remember eating blueberry pie. Until this week, that is. I can now add “eating 4 pieces of blueberry pie in 2 days” to my list of life’s accomplishments. For crying out loud, it’s like crack blueberry pie!

The crust rocked. It was a mostly butter crust (which supposedly delivers on taste, but not on flakiness) but somehow it was flavorful AND flaky. Just look at the close-up if you don’t believe me.


I don’t have much experience making crust, but Dorie’s method must be pretty foolproof. Because even I, self-professed crust newbie, turned out pie dough with flecks and gobs of butter visible.


The filling rocked. My neighbor said she normally isn't fond of blueberry pie, but she ended up eating most of the hunk I sent over to her house.

I tried to make myself feel better about those 4 pieces of pie by reminding myself how good blueberries are supposed to be for you.


OK, I have a plea to all of you pie-makers out there... Help! I don’t think I properly dispersed the sugar/flour mixture amongst the blueberries. But I don’t exactly understand how this is accomplished. It seems if I would have tried to mix it up (once the mixture was in the crust), the sugar/flour would have just sunk to the bottom. I felt like I ended up with some gobs of uncooked sugar, which you can see at the tip of the piece above. What the heck are you supposed to do with that mass of sugar/flour?


Regardless of my minor confusion, though, this pie rocked! I will definitely be making it again.

Thanks Dorie and many thanks to Amy of South in Your Mouth for chosing yet another winner recipe.

I'll leave you with a picture of one of my poppies from earlier this spring. Until next week...

No comments: