Sunday, September 21, 2008

Aaaw, I got some Awards!

I am overdue in thanking several people for awards they've bestowed on this blog. I am honored and truly appreciate them.

Thanks go out first to Michelle from "Something New is Cooking". She has given me the "Just Nice Photos - Beautiful Site" and "2008 Best Blog Darts Thinker" awards (these came as a sort of package deal). I love how Michelle's family and friends play a prominent part in her blog. Thank you, Michelle!



Secondly, Michele from Alwayz Bakin', has given me the "I love you this much" award. Michele has the cutest site and is an accomplished baker and cake decorator. She is also going back to school, which takes a lot of hard work and guts. Good luck and many thanks, Michele!!


Lastly, Matt of Matt's Kitchen has given me the "E for Excellent" award. Matt always prepares such delicious-sounding dishes. I really admire his way with words and how he always has something interesting to say. Thank you very much, Matt!


In turn, I am going to give the awards out to a few people. I believe you're supposed to acknowledge the person who gave you the award, and then pass it along to a certain number of people, but I, being somewhat of a rule-breaker, am giving each to one person. I think it takes away from the spirit of awards if too many rules are attached. I say, if you think one person or 25 people deserve the award... go for it!

Vera, at Baking Obsession, has the most beautifully photographed and fantabulous sounding desserts. (If you're ever looking for recipe tester, Vera, please call me!) I am giving her the "E is for Excellent" award.

Sharon, at SugarEd Lagniappe, is a dear friend and extremely talented and creative cake decorator. If you look up the word "perfection" in the dictionary, you will find her picture alongside. I am giving her the "I Love You This Much" award.

I am going to give the first two awards out separately, since that's how they were originally (see below for some random blabbing by me on that subject).

Chocolatechic has a knack for documenting her baking progress with beautiful photos and witty discussion. She always manages to make me chuckle. I am giving her the "Beautiful Site" award.

Barbara, of Bungalow Barbara, is a knowledgeable baker who took the time to share many great pie-baking tips with me following my cherry pie crisis. I am giving her the... OK, I'm just going to call it the Darts award (the first one).

Now for the random blabbing... those of you with more meaningful things to do are now excused, lol.

Do you ever wonder where these awards come from? I do.

Out of curiousity, I tried to trace the first set of awards back to it's origin and became hopelessly lost traveling the side streets and back alleys of the blog world. For some time I found myself navigating my way through Indian food related blogs. Somewhere along the line, it appears that these two awards were originally separate but were then combined.

I believe the first one started out as the "Premio Dardos (Darts Award)" but now has the title "Best Blog Darts Thinker" award. I have to assume something has been lost (or added, as the case may be) in the translation, lol. Tracing it back, I made it to a site that looked like it was a cross-roads to Brazillian, Spanish-written blogs. That blog's author had translated the award's intent and came up with "This award is for bloggers who distinguish themselves for showing cultural values, ethics, great and fun writing skills, as well individual values, through their creative writing". There was also a set of rules that included sending it along to 15 people! No wonder this award has been so prolific and hard to trace to its origins.

I'm curious, what are your thoughts on blog awards? do you follow the rules attached to them? do you post them in your sidebar, and why? Do you chose not the post them, and why?

OK, until next time... night, night!

No comments: