Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cookie Carnival: Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

(Yes, that picture does have a nuclear glow to it, lol.)

I'm so glad I joined Cookie Carnival. If I could only bake one type of baked good for the rest of my life, it would be cookies. I love making them, and eating them. The cool think about Cookie Carnival is that it forces me to reach outside of my comfort zone and try new things.

Like sandwich cookies. This is my second sandwich cookie (the first being the surprisingly scrumptious Pink Grapefruit Sandwich Cookies). This time around it's chocolate cookies with pumpkin filling, also known as Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies.


I was curious about the origin of Whoopie Pies. According to Wikipedia: "A whoopie pie, sometimes alternatively called a gob, black-and-white, or bob is a baked good traditional to the Pennsylvania Dutch culture as well as New England, made of two small, chocolate, disk-shaped cakes with a sweet, creamy frosting sandwiched between them."

Interesting, since I thought the cookies tasted exactly like Devil's Food cake. (Ha, can't fool a cookie expert, trying to disguise a little round cake as a cookie!) I wasn't too keen on the filling. My tastebuds didn't think it went very well with the chocolate cookie. I think I would have liked them better with a fluffy white filling, as with the original.

Quite a few other Cookie Carnival bakers said their filling was runny. Mine wasn't runny, just kind of slimy-ish. I whipped the heck out of it with my Kitchenaid mixer, so maybe that's why it stayed together.


I enjoyed making them though. They're super cute and make for a nice take-along for the holidays feeding frenzies. I might try them again with a different filling. The cake/cookie was lip-smacking good.


If you'd like to give them a try, you can find the recipe at Martha Stewart's site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Whoopie Pies look wonderful. I have found that the secret to a fabulous Whoopie Pie is its filling. At Baker Babes Bakery we do a Pumpkin Whoopie Pie with a cream filling. This allows the taste buds to savor the full flavor of the pumpkin cake without it having to compete with the flavor of a pumpkin filling. I have found that when pumpkin filling is surrounded by a chocolate whoopie cake the pumpkin flavor seems to only serve as an afterthought. You can check out our pumpkin whoopie pies at our seasonal section of our website at www.baker-babes.com.