Thursday, May 21, 2009

TWD Rewind: Mixed Berry Cobbler


I remember last summer when the Mixed Berry Cobbler was the week's Tuesday's with Dorie recipe.

I remember because the recipe took a real beating in the discussion forum. The topping was reported to be bland, or doughy, there was disappointment that the dough and fruit layers didn't mix, it didn't measure up to a favorite recipe... and on and on.

It was enough to convince me to sit out that week. I wish I wouldn't have, though.


I made the cobbler recently and downsized it so I had two perfect little servings.

I was completely surprised to find out that I loved it! And it was so easy... perfect for a spur of the moment dessert craving.

The topping was tender and a perfect compliment to the sweet, lucious fruit base.


I cut the recipe down so it used one cup of fruit, to be split between two ramekins. I think I quartered the topping and rolled it to about 1/4" thickness or slightly thicker (I had some left over). I used a mixture of frozen blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.

I did add some extra sugar (maybe 50% more) to the topping since other bakers said it was bland.


I invite you to try it out for yourself. You can find the recipe at Beth from Our Sweet Life's site. Or, check out Dorie Greenspan's book, "Baking, From my Home to Yours".

Adios!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks so cute and delicious! I hadn't made this one either.

Leslie said...

Thanks for posting on making this one! It was picked before I joined the group and I have a fridge full of fresh berries (I always go overboard in the spring!) I'm going to take your advice and add more sugar and maybe even some cinnamon or nutmeg to the topping.

Pamela said...

I remember this one and I remember LOVING it. I remember working out extra so I could eat it without guilt. And ice cream on top, but that's beside the point. I really can't wait to make it again!! It looks fabulous, too.

Marthe said...

That looks really good, I hadn't made this one, simply because I hadn't joined TWD back then....

Elyse said...

I think the cobbler looks fantastic! I'm glad you rewound this one :) I could totally go for some cobbler right now...mmm, with some vanilla ice cream melting on top. Yum! Your little ramekins look totally delicious!

grace said...

my one and only problem with what you've done is that one little ramekin wouldn't fill my need for berry goodness. perhaps that's for the best...

Web Design said...

Looks really good.. this is delicious for my eyes..

Unknown said...

i love berries!!! this looks so good... :)

NKP said...

They look great! Good call in the added sugar. Love that you made minis.

Anonymous said...

I love cobblers. I don't think i've made this one yet. I'll have to try it.

Maria said...

I love this one!

accounting services said...

Looks very nice...
Regards,
accounts payable outsourcing

Outsourcing Manila said...

thanks for sharing it.