Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cake Slice: Pina Colada Cake, and an Award


This month, the Cake Slice Bakers made the Pina Colada Cake, from the book "Sky High: Irresistible Triple Layer Cakes", by Alisa Huntsman and Peter Wynne.

My Pina Colada Cake took a wild ride through three airports, two planes, two taxi rides, and several rental car rides before making it to it's final destination atop a lovely cupcake tower at my sister's wedding. (The cupcakes were done by Be My Cupcake in Cedar Park, TX.)


The Pina Colada Cake was made up of a lovely rum-soaked brown sugar cake with a pineapple-lime-vanilla filling, all wrapped up in a coconut buttercream. Since I knew this cake would have to hold up to the rigors of air travel, I opted to ice it with my sturdy cream cheese icing and then cover it with fondant. I wasn't sure how the coconut buttercream would fare and decided to play it safe. Bummer, though. I was anxious to try the buttercream since all of the icings in this book have been wonderful so far.

And how was it? The cake was delish! My sister and her new hubby really loved it.

Feel free to stop by the Cake Slice Bakers Blogroll to see how everyone else fared this month. For the recipe, click ---> here.

I also want to give a shout out and thanks to Chris from The Mixed-Up Files of... Me for giving me the Kreativ Blogger award. Thanks, girlfriend!


The RULES of this award are:

(1) Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
(2) Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
(3) Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
(4) Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
(5) Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
(6) Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
(7) Leave a comment on each of the blogs, letting them know they have been nominated.

I'm going to nominate Vibi from La Casserole Carree and Natashya from Living in the Kitchen with Puppies for this award. Girls, feel free to do what you want with this award. Post it or not, it's up to you.

Aaand lastly, seven things about myself (ugh)... OK...
1. I'm embarrassed to talk about myself.
2. I never really got South Park.
3. I can't think of anything interesting to say for #3.
4. I think high heels are a conspiracy against women.
5. I rarely watch TV. I've never seen Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, American Idol or most of the other hit shows.
6. I'm 43 and I'm still waiting for the real adults to show up and manage this household.
7. I still have a thing for Loverboy.

19 comments:

Megan said...

Love the cake photo - you do such beautiful work.

When are you going to move to Vegas and we can open a bakery? :)

Steph said...

I'm so glad the cake slice group is baking this cake because I just bought the book and wanted to try this one first. The wedding cake looks gorgeous. I'm glad your sister enjoyed it!

Snooky doodle said...

wow that cake looks so nice. and surely it did a long trip. wonderful !

symphonious sweets said...

Congratulations on the safe arrival/travels of your beautiful cake and the award!

grace said...

that is an EXQUISITE cake, jacque! absolutely stunning. meanwhile, you're so right about high heels--who invented those tools of pain and suffering?

Martha said...

What a stunning cake! You're a braver woman than I to attempt airport transport with cake :-)

PheMom said...

Wow! That is awesome that you made the cake for your sister's wedding. It looks really beautiful!

Caroline said...

What a beautiful cake! Congrats to your sis and for your award.

Lulu the Baker said...

Ha! I almost closed the browser window when I opened it because I thought it wasn't the right cake! So beautiful!!! Your sister is so lucky to have gotten such a delicious wedding cake!

Katie said...

WOW thats one trip for a cake. It looks stunning! Many congratulations to your sister.

Jo said...

The cake looks absolutely gorgeous and a real piece of work. Great job!

Maria said...

Love the cake, it is so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't believe you transported the cake through all that. It looks wonderful!

vibi said...

WOW! I'm not sure which amazes me more... the award, or the cake!!!

This is some pretty darn good looking cake, woman! I say "looking" 'cause I'm not especially crazy about pina colada flavoured stuff... just like the dacquoise we're about to show off... hummm, not my favorite.

Thanks for the award, I'm very, very flattered even more, for not many people dare rewarding someone that doesn't write in their language!!!

Thank you soooo much!

Unknown said...

The cake looks soo pretty! And I'm sure it tasted great, since you took it to your sister's wedding!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

wow--it's beautiful! a perfect wedding cake!

Unknown said...

So beautiful! I just traveled with a cake (next week's TWD recipe) through an airport too. The security people made my heart stop when they asked what kind of cake and I mentioned the raspberry filling, one of them said, "raspberry filling is a gel and we can't let that through." I am sure I turned white, then they laughed. Funny to them.

Monica H said...

Your cake is absolutely beautiful and a perfect topper to a cupcake tower. What a lucky couple!

In my opinion, you didn't miss out on the coconut buttercream. Of the cake I've made so far this frosting was my least favorite. I actually noted that it would be better iced with cream cheese, so your sister got the best of both worlds!

Anonymous said...

Hi I'd like to thank you for such a terrific made site!
Just thought this would be a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Edwyn Sammy
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/21st-birthday-party-supplies.html]21st Birthday Party Supplies[/url].