Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Rainbow Cupcakes and some Awards


We're on the homestretch, folks! One more day of school and then (sing Alice Cooper style with me, now) ... "schoooooool's out... for.. the sum-MER!". Three months of not getting kids ready for school, not supervising homework, and not getting up so early.

Of course, there's also the flip side of "not having a moment's peace" for three months, but I'm sure it will be at least a week before I notice that.

I thought I'd share some cupcakes I made for one of my son's school parties.

There's really not much to them. I piped a circle of white icing onto a cupcake using a large star tip. (I think it's a "1M" tip.) Then comes the spray color. If you're lucky enough to have gone through a serious cake decorating phase like me, you might have an airbrush (by far my all time *favorite* cake toy). If not, you can pick up the canned sprays wherever Wilton products are sold, plus I think maybe Betty Crocker makes some sprays, found in the baking aisle at the grocery store.


To make them, you first line your work area with newspaper or a plastic tablecloth to catch the overspray. (Seriously, don't skip this step or you'll be cleaning food coloring off your counters for weeks.) Next, arrange your cupcakes, kind of scrunched close together without actually touching. Then you get busy with the spray color. I sprayed in wide lines that that covered maybe half the cupcake, but you can do whatever suits your fancy. Don't get too close with the spray or you'll blow holes in your icing.

While these colorful treats might not be your first choice when entertaining your country club friends, they're easy and a big hit with the elementary school set.

.................

I also wanted to give a shout-out to a couple of really sweet bakers, Marthe and Carly.

Marthe of Culinary Delights shared not one, but two awards with me.

Thanks, Marthe! (Lucky girl is in Paris right now.) Marthe lives in The Netherlands and always shares such interesting recipes and history too, be sure to stop by and give her a holler.









The rules for both awards are:
1. Put the logo on your blog or post.
2. Nominate at least 10 blogs which show great Attitude and/or Gratitude!
3. Be sure to link to your nominees within your post.
4. Let them know that they have received this award by commenting on their blog.
5. Share the love and link to this post and to the person from whom you received your award.


Carly of Carly's Kitchen was nice enough to pass along this award:


Aaaw, thanks Carly!

You must stop by Carly's site. Besides being a serious sweet tooth and passionate baker, this girlfriend's got some great travel photos to drool over.

The rules for this award are: "These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."

I'm going to pass each of these awards to one person. Awardees, do with this what you will. If you want to pass them along as instructed, please do. If not, don't worry about it. As you can see, I'm not much of a rule-follower myself.

I'm giving the "Friends" award to Megan at My Baking Adventures.
Uber Amazing Blog to Wendy at Pink Stripes.
Triple Awards to Avanika at YumsiliciousBakes.

The rest of y'all, please pay these three wonderful bloggers a visit, they all have lovely yummy-filled blogs.

14 comments:

Bunny said...

Congratulations on the awards! I never would have thought of spraying the cuppies with color, good one! That's how the bakery in the grocery store does it. I'll love for those spray cans in the baking section!

Unknown said...

OMG!! Thank you sooo much, this is my first award ever, so I'm super excited. Can you tell? :P
I have a few questions about it though, and I can't find your mail address anywhere? Could you please give it to me, or drop me a mail at my address?
THANKS!!!

Snooky doodle said...

these cupcakes are so nice! Congratulations on the awards too :)

Megan said...

Thanks, Jacque. That was really sweet of you to think of me!

I love the rainbow color cupcakes - and as much as I would *love* an airbrushing machine, I can't even get my edible image machine to work! So frustrating!

alexandra said...

Enjoy the last few days ... and summer break of couse! There's nothing like that feeling of the last day of school. Great way to celebrate with these beautiful cupcakes

PheMom said...

Congrats on the awards! Those cupcakes look great - and I'll bet that airbrush is super fun!

grace said...

so now the best part about cupcakes isn't making and eating them, but decorating them--those look amazing!

Anonymous said...

Cute cupcakes! My kids would love them!

Shari said...

I can see why these cupcakes would be a huge hit! They look beautiful! And you make it sound so easy!!
Congrats on the awards!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award! Your cupcakes look amazing. (I don't think I'm at the airbrush stage of decorating cakes or other things yet).

NKP said...

That looks so cool! I have never sprayed colour on before.. now I want to.

Leslie said...

Congrats on the awards! These cupcakes are adorable. No wonder they were a hit!

Teanna said...

Those cupcakes are awesome! I am dying to try a rainbow frosting, but was always too nervous!

Mermaid Sews said...

Congrats on the awards and LOVE the cupcakes.