Tuesday, June 16, 2009

TWD: Honey-Peach Ice Cream


Hey everyone! We just got back from vacation. As soon as school ended, we jetted down to Texas for my sister's wedding and a little sight-seeing. I've got a wee little wedding cake to share and some trip pics, but I'll post them later in the week.

Right now, we've got some Tuesday's with Dorie to talk about. Tommi of Brown Interior selected Honey-Peach Ice Cream for this week's recipe. Thanks, Tommi!


Based on the discussion on the TWD forum, I opted to steep my peaches, er, nectarines, in my hot milk/cream mixture. I wanted the fruit flavor to really shine through.


It looks a little gunky, I know, but a quick pass through the strainer and all was well.

I cooked all of the nectarines, and also pureed the whole batch because I, like apparently lots of other folks, don't like chunks of icy fruit in my ice cream (too ouchy on the teeth.) There were still a few small pieces.


And how was it?

Good! ...nice and fruity tasting. I couldn't really detect the honey flavor, though. I'm looking forward to trying it with some perfectly ripe, tasty peaches (the selection of peaches at the store this week was not good).

OK, that's all folks! Thanks for stopping by and if you'd like to see the recipe, please stop by Tommi's site above, or check out Dorie Greenspan's book, "Baking, From my Home to Yours".

23 comments:

Amanda said...

It looks gorgeous! I'm not a fan of peaches and subbed plums. They must not have been ripe enough as my ice cream was super bitter.

Unknown said...

Yumm.. Looks great! I'm not a fan of chunky ice-cream either, but those little pieces look great :)

Pamela said...

Ooh...I love the almonds on top! Looks quite luscious!

Teanna said...

I know! I didn't taste the honey at all, either! But then some people felt that it was overpowering? Maybe the type of honey that was used? Oh well, this was a really lovely ice cream - and yours looks delicious!

grace said...

lovely! oddly enough, i think the almonds on top are the best thing about it--i love a good crunch. :)

Megan said...

The honey flavor wasn't overpowering - which is probably why I liked it so much.

Can't wait to see your trip and cake pics!

chocolatechic said...

It wasn't what I expected.

I think I'll stick with chocolate.

Maria said...

I love the almonds you added!

vibi said...

Ahhhh beautiful Jacque! ANd surely divine when sprinkled with almonds... on top of that subliminally good peachy taste! WOW!

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

Mmmm, this looks amazing!!! Great photos!!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Anonymous said...

Your Honey Nectarine Ice Cream looks wonderful! I love the texture of it. And it looks really tasty with the almonds!

Hindy said...

Your Honey-Nectarine ice cream looks lovely! I'm glad you enjoyed.

Anonymous said...

Your ice cream looks wonderful! I'll have to try it with nectarines.

NKP said...

I like nectarines more than peaches as they tend to have better consistency here. Seems hard to find good peaches in Canada and Niagara's season is so short.
The ice cream looks great, love the nuts.

Anonymous said...

Your ice cream looks just delicious, especially with the nuts on top. I used nectarines too and I thought they were great.

Juliana said...

Yummie...your peach ice cream looks terrific...and I love the almonds on top...yummie!

♥Rosie♥ said...

This looks gorgeous!

Leslie said...

Looks amazing, and the almonds are the perfect touch! Good call on pureeing all the fruit.

Dewi said...

Wow, gorgeous and scrumptious. I like the addition of almond as topping. It adds nice crunch to it.

Steph said...

It looks so good with the almond sliver! I love peachy bits!

LaDue & Crew said...

I am in love with your blog! Thanks for stopping by mine... Can't wait till I have time to read even more over here!

Charli said...

Those almonds look like the perfect topper to this ice cream--my stomach is grumbling just thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

Yum, this looks amazing. I will have to try this. Thanks for sharing.