Monday, February 15, 2010

TWD: Fluted Polenta and Ricotta Cake, Day 7 of "8 Days with Dorie"


I have to admit that the Fluted Polenta and Ricotta Cake, chosen by Caitlin of Engineer Baker in April, 2008, didn't exactly inspire me. It looked kind of, well, boring... like cornbread in a tart pan.

All I can say is that looks are deceiving. The title doesn't let on that this deceptively tasty little cake has sweet, crunchy figs scattered throughout.


The cake itself was moist with that slightly crunchy cornmeal texture and hints of honey and lemon. I would have to say that of all of the "8 Days with Dorie" recipes, this was my favorite. So, a belated thanks to Caitlin for the great pick.

If you'd like to see the recipe, please visit Caitlin's blog, or get yourself a copy of Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking, From my Home to Yours".

Tomorrow I'll present the regularly scheduled "Tuesday with Dorie" recipe, and after that... two bonus recipes. I only had two recipes left to finish the recipes I missed and figured I'd might as well bang them out.

5 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Wow, I'm impressed that you're going back and making all of these recipes! I joined very early in the game and still haven't made the recipes that were picked before I started. Glad you liked my pick though!

grace said...

i don't know a thing about figs except that they look pretty in baked goods. you've proven that point quite nicely here. :)

Maria said...

Love this cake!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the more unusual recipes are surprisingly good. This one was before I joined, and I don't remember seeing anything about it. Interesting!

m3 card said...

This sounds wonderful! Good as a treat. I'll pick that up tomorrow. Thanks for this recipe!