Thursday, September 30, 2010

FFWD: (That's French Fridays with Dorie) Gougeres


OMG, am I crazy or what? I don't have time for another blog event!

Yea, um. About that...

Welcome to the premier post for French Fridays with Dorie! (Too bad Dorie's name isn't Florie... "French Fridays with Florie" would sound awesome, LOL) This time around, we're baking through Dorie Greenspan's newest book "Around my French Table".

Dorie herself picked the recipes for October. (Thanks, Dorie!) First up is Gougeres, which is fancy talk for "cheese puffs" ;-).

Simple to make, delicious to taste. They start simple by first boiling water, milk, butter, and salt.


Flour is added all at once and the mixture stirred to beat the band.


The mixture quickly turns thick and pasty (if you've ever made homemade play-doh, it's exactly the same effect).


After hanging out to cool in the mixer for a minute, eggs are added one at a time and mixed thoroughly until...


you get a wonderful, shiny, smooth pate-a-chou dough.


Once you add the cheese, the puffs become cheese puffs.


The dough is scooped out onto the awaiting pan and baked (or, as for these guys, they're stowed in the freezer for later baking).


The final reward? Wonderfully cheesy gougeres....



Mmmm, perfect! How's that for a home run on the first at bat?

OK, that's it for this week. Join us next week for a mustardy Frenchy tart thingy. If you'd like to see the recipe... go check out the FFWD site (this month only, recipes are supplied), or get a copy of Dorie's new book!

19 comments:

chocolatechic said...

They look great.


Mine are cooling on the counter right now.

Anonymous said...

Those look lovely. In case it comes in handy, you can freeze baked gougeres or cream puffs (unfilled). Put them in a crush proof, air-tight container. Simply put them on a sheetpan and into a hot oven for a few minutes to lightly re-crisp and you're all set!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

They look great! This was my first Dorie day. I didn't know you could freeze the dough but I will my next round. As good as they are frozen after cooking I like the fresh out of the oven taste more. Do you thaw before baking?

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

love the step by step photos and then your final lovely cheese puffs!

Anonymous said...

Your comparison to homemade playdoh was exactly right. Great photos!

Hindy said...

Look how beautifully yours have puffed. Lovely!

Jayne said...

Gorgeous job! I'm glad I froze some - I could have eaten them all....

Anonymous said...

Nice job! And great write up. I didn't freeze any (no room in the freezer; and we wanted to eat THEM ALL!!), but I'm going to make some to freeze so I can have easy appetizers for the holidays.

scrambledhenfruit said...

Gorgeous gougeres!

Serene said...

Good job! I froze half, but an hour later, my teenager convinced me to bake those up. She devoured them. :-)

Anonymous said...

They look great! I'm excited to have some in the freezer to bake later!

Frenchie said...

Wonderful Blog!

Shandy said...

Your gougeres looks golden and perfect! Beautiful first baking event =).

Candy said...

Your gougeres look beautiful! Great step by step photo tutorial.

mike said...

Sure you have time - between TWD and.... wait, who's talking? Lovely gougeres! And I agree - I froze a lot of mine - came out great in the oven! Beautiful photo!

Katrina said...

Your puffs look great. After failing twice, I made sweet cream puffs today (different recipe) and they turned out GREAT. I wasn't going to let choux get me! ;)

I'm thinking the same thing--what am I thinking doing another weekly group?!

Julie said...

Those look so good! The one and only time I ever made gougeres, I used some really stinky cheese, and I couldn't get past the smell.

spike. said...

I can't keep up with all the blogging groups but couldn't resist the new one either!

Pamela said...

They look so good! Makes me glad I have more in the freezer.