Friday, October 15, 2010

FFWD: Vietnamese Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup


Up this week for French Fridays with Dorie is Vietnamese Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup.

I know it doesn't look like much, does it?

Don't let the simple look of this soup fool you, though. It was packed with flavor galore. Coconut milk, onion, garlic, cilantro, coriander, peppercorn, and lime - they're all in there.

And it was fantastic!

I followed the recipe except for a few minor deviations. First were the noodles... I couldn't find either rice vermicelli or Chinese egg noodles, so I used what I had on hand. My Thai friend calls these bean threads or cellophane noodles.


Aren't they cool? They're almost see through. Never mind that they have no taste whatsoever, but they have a fun, chewy texture.


The only other change, besides leaving out the chilies, was that I whizzed the broth with my immersion blender. Why? I don't know... just felt like it.

OK, that's it for this week. If you'd like to see the recipe, for this month only, you can find it on the FFwD site, or Dorie Greenspan's book "Around My French Table".

13 comments:

daphne said...

this soup looks inviting. . .

Hindy said...

I love those glass noodles in your soup!

chocolatechic said...

Looks good.

I couldn't hardly find anything for this recipe.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Took me two trips to two markets to get everything so despite it being easy to make, still took ME a long time! Love the noodles too!
Trevor Sis Boom.

Mary said...

I like the glassy noodles and will have to try that next time.

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

This soup sounds perfect for fall! I'll have to look up the recipe :o)

Anonymous said...

beautiful glass noodles! Mine were white rice noodles but the glass look so much more interesting!

Tia said...

your chicken looks so tender and yummy

Michelle A'etonu said...

looks great! so bummed i missed out this week!

Katrina said...

I want an immersion blender so I can do that, too, if I want. ;)
I've never tried those noodles but have always want to.
I wasn't able to make the soup this week. It looks good.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

I know them as glass noddles and love the slippery feel too, in a good way!!
U soup looks good and loved it too!

Anonymous said...

looks comforting and warm. perfect for rainy weathers

Kris Ngoei said...

This soup doesn't look simple to me at all, it fact it looks delicious. I have made pho before and realize how much good ingredients are involved in the soup itself..

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris