Tuesday, October 26, 2010

TWD: All-American, All-Delicious Apple Pie


Emily of Sandmuffin chose All-American All-Delicious Apple Pie for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe.

The fun thing about apple pie is that you can change it up by using different varieties of apples. I used a combination of Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, and Red Delicious.


Granny is the only one of those that you hear being recommended for apple pie. The others bake up soft, as you can tell by looking at the cut slice... no distinct slices of apple that you can tell.

But you know what, I liked this version just fine. The taste was outstanding and I liked the slightly pinkish tint.

I was half lazy this time and used a store bought bottom crust. I made a full batch of Dorie's pie dough, though, and used half for the top crust. (I'm saving the other half for the cranberry galette coming up next month.)


All in all, this apple pie was a winner in my book.

Thank you Emily for choosing this recipe. You'll find the recipe on Emily's blog or in Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking, From my Home to Yours".

13 comments:

chocolatechic said...

It looks lovely.

Mine is just butt ugly.

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

I love apple pie and yours looks perfect! Nicely done :o)

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

mmm I have not see Marie Callendar pie crust in the store... It would encourage me to cheat though. :) Your pie look delicious!

Anonymous said...

I kinda like overcooked apple pie filling, and i think your pie is looking gorgeous!

Pamela said...

Sometimes those ready made pie doughs are just the way to go. The pie looks great!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Beautiful pie! :)

Jodie said...

Yum! Dorie's pie crust is my fave! Great job!

Flourchild said...

It was a winner over here too! Your pie looks good and tasty!!

Judy said...

Beautiful pie! I also used a variety of apples in the filling.

AmyRuth said...

Great pie and I'm just curious about the MC crust and if you liked it as well as the top crust? Either way, its beautiful.
AmyRuth

Katrina said...

I will try this one again, with less lemon, I thought the zest was way overpowering. But next time more cinnamon, no zest and lots of fun different apples.

Kayte said...

Looks delicious! How do you get your filling to turn out like that??? Mine just has apples spilling all over the place, nothing staying in a nice neat shape like yours. Ah, well...

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh so delicious!!
AM happy to find this post coz have to bake one too!!