Tuesday, October 19, 2010

TWD: Caramel Pumpkin Pie


Janell of Mortensen Family Memoirs picked Caramel Pumpkin Pie for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe.

Basically, this is pumpkin pie with a healthy dose of home-made caramel mixed in with the typical ingredients.

At first, I wasn't too crazy about it. But that might have something to do with the fact that I got distracted and walked away from my first batch of melting sugar. Big mistake! Big enough that I might have ruined my pan, unless I can figure out how to get the layer of black that seems to be super-glued to it off. (Suggestions welcome.)


Once I got over it, though, I decided this was a pretty darn good piece of pumpkin pie. Kind of like "Extreme Pumpkin Pie" or "Adults Only" pumpkin pie (neither of the kids liked it).

I really don't taste caramel, per se. More like a deeper, richer flavored pumpkin pie.

Definitely an alternative for the Thankgsiving dessert table, in my opinion.

P.S. I totally cheated and used store-bought pie shell... that's why it's so perfect! Also, I didn't go as dark with the caramel as instructed. I know from experience that I don't like it that bitter.

OK, that's that. if you'd like to see the recipe, please visit Janell's blog, or find a copy of Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking, From my Home to Yours".

15 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Your pie looks lovely.

I halved mine.

Anonymous said...

Your pie looks perfectly delicious! Try soaking your pot overnight ina mix of bicarbonate soda and water...it works not the first to leave a bubbly mess on the heat!Yvette

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

Great looking pie! I don't like my caramel to dark either so I would try it on the lighter side as well but it sounds delicious :o)

Cindy said...

It was a fun pie. I also over cooked my first batch of caramel. So dark and bitter! Second try was the charm.

Tia said...

your whipped cream looks perfect.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Love the photos - beautiful pie! :)

Jessica said...

Great job! Your pie looks so fancy and delicious!

The Mortensens said...

Smart not to go with the dark caramel. Now I know for sure that I do not like it either! Anyway, your pie looks pretty. I like the design you made with the whipped cream.

Thanks for baking along with me this week!

Mary said...

It looks perfect! I wish I hadn't gone so dark on the caramel. Your whipped cream piping is very pretty--I just want to dig in and mess it up.
:)

Anonymous said...

i totally understand about ruining your pan. I ruined quite a couple of pans too making caramel. Its frustrating! But nevertheless, your pie looks gorgeous, and i am betting it tastes amazing too!

Katrina said...

Same here with my caramel, don't like it "burnt" so I finished it off just as it barely started to smoke. This was a great pie.

Unknown said...

The pie looks delicious. You could boil it with some coke and lots of water, or baking soda and water. Either way, the sugar re-melts and you can just pour it all out. I've burnt quite a few caramels :)

Judy said...

I think a lighter caramel is the way to go. Like others suggested, add water and baking soda and between boiling and elbow grease, the pan just might get clean.

Joyti said...

Yum! Yours looks very successful and quite delicious - great color.

Kayte said...

Gorgeous! Nothing wrong with a premade crust! Somebody made it!! ;-) Beautiful decoration on top.