Tuesday, November 16, 2010

TWD: Cranberry Lime Galette


Whitney, April, and Elizabeth of Celestial Confections chose the Cranberry Lime Galette for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe.

Perfect for November, wouldn't you say? Heaping full of cranberries, apple, and brown sugar, and accented with ginger and lime...


I don't know why I don't make more galettes. They couldn't be much simpler.

And the smell? If I could bottle that smell and sell it, I'd make millions.


This galette had the makings of the perfect Thanksgiving dessert. I just wish, wish, WISH it hadn't been too tart for my taste buds. I loved the flavors of the ginger and lime. I'm thinking if half of the cranberries were swapped out for apples or pears, this would have been perfect.

I did manage to nibble happily on the crust area, where there was less fruit. It was fantastic.

FYI, I followed the recipe exactly, but cut all of the ingredients down to 1/3 of the recipe.

OK, folks, Laurie has wisely and graciously given us a break from TWD next week, or we have the option of doing a rewind (a previous choice). So I might see you or might not. If not, have a fabulous Thanksgiving! For this week's recipe, please check out Whitney, April, and Elizabeth's blog, or Dorie Greenspan's book "Baking, From my Home to Yours".

12 comments:

Judy said...

It turned out beautifully! I liked the tartness, but I know that's not to everyone's liking.

Have a yummy Thanksgiving.

Cakelaw said...

Your galette looks superb! Great job.

chocolatechic said...

Beautiful.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Your galette is a winner. It looks like a galette, has the earthy quality which makes it approachable.

I thought it was too tart also. I would make it with just apples, next time or another berry that is sweeter. Despite this, we gobbled, yes gobbled it down.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Your galette is gorgeous! :) Wish it wasn't so tart for you!

Nicole said...

I used more apples and fewer cranberries because I knew it would be too tart otherwise. I loved how easy it was and how fancy it looked.

Valerie Gamine said...

I'm sorry you didn't fall completely in love with this...your galette is gorgeous! :)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Tart is the word for this dessert but with the vanilla ice cream I really loved the pop explosion in my mouth. Yours sure did turn out beautifully!

Juliana said...

Your galette looks delicious, can I have with a scoop of ice cream? :-)

Katrina said...

It looks GREAT. I AM glad I added chocolate to cut that tartness.
I totally missed that the recipe even called for ginger. Hmmm.
Loved the lime added though.

Jeannette said...

your galette looks amazing, even for being a rustic dessert! great job!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you didn't like it too much, because to me, it looks absolutely perfect!! I'd happily eat whatever you have left of it :)